calamitous adj : (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin; "the stock market crashed on Black Friday"; "a calamitous defeat"; "the battle was a disastrous end to a disastrous campaign"; "such doctrines, if true, would be absolutely fatal to my theory"- Charles Darwin; "it is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it"- Douglas MacArthur; "a fateful error" [syn: black, disastrous, fatal, fateful]
- Concerning or involving calamity, disastrous.
Calamity may refer to:
- A disaster, a terrible event
- Al-Qaria (English: The Calamity), the 101st sura of the Qur'an
Jane, a nineteenth century American frontierwoman
- Calamity Jane (1953 film), a 1953 film based on the person
- Calamity James, a British comic book character
- Calamity King, a fictional character from D.C. comics
- Calamity (board game), a board game released by Games Workshop in 1983
- GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam, a fictional weapon from the Gundam series
- The Irish Potato Famine (1845-1849), also known as "The Great Calamity"
- Calamity Coyote from Tiny Toon Adventures
afflictive, awful, baneful, black, cataclysmal, cataclysmic, catastrophic, consuming, consumptive, deadly, demolishing, demolitionary, depredatory, desolating, destroying, destructive, devastating, dire, disastrous, distressful, distressing, doomful, dreadful, fatal, fateful, fratricidal, grievous, heartbreaking, internecine, lamentable, nihilist, nihilistic, pernicious, ravaging, regrettable, ruining, ruinous, self-destructive, subversionary, subversive, suicidal, terrible, tragic, unfortunate, vandalic, vandalish, vandalistic, wasteful, wasting, withering, woeful, wreckful